Psalms 68 5:6







A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families.







Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Church, where have we been?

Church, Where Have We Been? (part 1)

I am not about to let this post go without putting it on my blog. The words this fellow adoptive mother put on her blog are straight out of every adoptive parents' heart. It is how we all feel. I am so ignorant about a lot of things but I know enough to realize we as Christians are not doing nearly enough. I wanted to post this to help others realize the dire need of orphans and that we are commanded to look after them. Please read with an open mind and heart. I got this off of thisgracefilledlife.blogspot.com
November is National Adoption/Orphan Awareness Month.  Most people don't know that about November;  At one time we didn't know...but we do now!  When I tell others that it is National Adoption/Orphan Awareness Month, the response that I normally get is, "Oh, that's nice."  I'm not satisfied with that response.  Here's why...There are millions - MILLIONS - of children with no mother or father.  They have no one to kiss them goodnight and tuck them into bed.  They have no one making sure that they have enough to eat.  Millions of children have nothing to call their own, not even the shirt on their back (if they have one) is their own.  Orphans are caring for orphans.  They're not allowed to just be a child.  When they are sick, there is no one to take care of them.  There is no medicine to make them feel better.  One million children are trafficked every year - CHILDREN being raped 30-40 times a day by men.  I could go on and on...  So an answer like "Oh, that's nice" is not enough for me. 
Their cries haunt my dreams, even when I'm awake.  I can't live like I don't hear them.  And yet, I feel powerless to help silence their cries.  So I speak...I tell people that it is National Adoption/Orphan Care Month.  I tell them that children need them.  I tell them that the Church is God's plan for the orphan.  And as much as I think I say it, it just isn't enough. 
I am going to say something that may offend some.  It may sound judgemental (I truly don't want to be, and have, with all sincerity, prayed that God would convict me when I am judging another).  So, with all love for the Body of Christ I want to know....CHURCH,  WHERE HAVE WE BEEN?!?  Why are there millions of orphans?  Why aren't we fighting for these children?  How can we go about our lives, and completely ignore what is going on - the absolute terror that children live under?  The orphan crisis is OUR crisis!  These kids are OUR kids...no matter what country they live in!  I know that this sounds strong.  I just don't know any other way to write it.  My dear friends, the Church IS (WE are) God's plan for the orphan.

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this:  To look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."  James 1:27

"Give justice to the weak and the fatherless; maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute."  Psalm 82:3

Well, there is much more to say about this...much more that would bring hope.  And I would like to take the time to write about the hope this week.  Because there is hope!  God is at work....

No comments:

Post a Comment