Psalms 68 5:6







A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families.







Thursday, September 23, 2010

Wastin away again in Margaritaville...


Anyone who really knows me well knows that I don't particularly relish the fall season. As today is the first official day of fall, I have been trying to not dwell on the fact that I had to work on the very last day of summer. :(


In a sick twist of fate, I spent the last hours, the last full day of summer 2010 indoors from 5am until 10pm. Today however, I have been off all day. Sure, I know it was like, 98 degrees outside today. But, the fact of the matter remains. It is fall. Summer is no more. And to me it is, like every year, pretty sad.


I admit it. I really get sad about that. All my life, I have LOVED summer. The hotter the weather the happier I am. Blame it on my love of all things Jimmy Buffet and Kenny Chesney, who has unwittingly turned himself into this generation's Jimmy Buffet. Blame it on my obsession with flip flops, which I own more than any one girl should to be honest. I will be wearing them in November trying to convince myself that we live in a climate that I can do that in. I love movies about summer. I love songs about summer, as aforementioned. I love laying out in the sun. (It's apparent to me that at 28, I am still trying to convince myself that I love laying out. I really don't but I don't like being the whitest white girl in the room either.) Luckily my daughter won't have to fool with such nonsense like sunbathing.


So in an effort to convince myself that fall really isn't that bad I have made a list of Pros and Cons. Here goes nothing.


  • Football.I am quite fond of football. Basketball pales in comparison to football. There is only one type of basketball I will watch (UK). I will watch any football game.

  • Uggs. I don't know how I existed before I discovered these wonderful boots. It is like putting your foot inside a sheep. So soft and luxurious. I have walked all over New York City in the dead of winter with these boots on and no coat. They are that warm. My husband does not understand why anyone would pay $165 for a pair of ugly shoes but he is truly the LAST person to lecture anyone on expensive ugly shoe addictions.

  • Apples. I don't really care for apples but it seems the majority of people link fall to apples. I guess if I had the patience to peel them every day they would give me more pleasure. But I do not. I was just trying to look on the bright side.

  • Changing the closets. This is probably the worst Mom job in the history of Mom jobs. Not only do I hate the endless laundering and general exchange of clothing, but every year I am left wondering how I ever got the clothes into that tiny Rubbermaid container the season before. It seems like they multiply. There are always renegade articles that get stuffed into Walmart bags on top of the main container in hopes they will be seen again in 6 months and not get sucked into the Black Hole of Lost Clothes. And not only do you have to do your closet, but your kids' too. I'm starting to wonder why we just don't donate all the stuff to Goodwill and buy new stuff every season. That seems like much less work and more fun!

  • As the weather gets colder I start to dread taking out the dogs to potty. There is nothing like having to stand in your nightgown and flip flops (or Uggs) at 4:30am with Sniffy Longdroppings on the other end of the leash in the freezing cold. Boo on that!

  • Winter. Fall leads to winter, which I hate only slightly less than a week long stomach virus. Nobody ever writes romantic songs about winter.

  • Basketball. Yeah I know that basketball is a winter sport but for die hard Cats fans, we all know that Big Blue Madness is in October. This is the first public practice for the new team. In years past, I had lost my passion for Big Blue Madness when UK was in the throes of mediocrity. But my passion is definitely back from the brink. In John Calipari will I trust!

  • September. The 9th month of the year is Christian's birthday. My baby will be 9 on Tuesday. I got to meet my saving grace in September. And most of the month it is still officially summer.

I guess I will have to suck it up because there is no way to stop the changing of the seasons. And this will hopefully be the last last day of summer that we will be a family of 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment