Psalms 68 5:6







A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families.







Thursday, September 30, 2010

My Golden Girls


THANKFUL THURSDAY NEWS AND VIEWS:

Thank you for being a friend

Travel down the road and back again.

Your heart is true.

You're a pal and a confidante

And if you threw a party,

And invited everyone you knew,

You would see the biggest gift would be from me

And the card attatched would say

Thank you for being friend.


Today I want to give thanks for my best friends. If you are lucky, you will have one person in your life to call a "best" friend. If you are blessed, you will have 2. If you are crazy fortunate, you have 3. You may think that it's impossible say that. I know it's so NOT impossible.


I have been calling Amy Merrick King my best friend since the day I was born. We are exactly 4 months apart in age. We lived next to each other our whole lives until college. We attended the same church. Her dad taught us how to drive. I think of her family as my own and she likewise. We accepted Christ as our savior at the age of 7 side-by-side. I cannot number the memories we share; church camp, school, Sunday afternoon playdates, boyfriends, arguments. We even met our husbands the same weekend! When I am with Amy, I feel like I am home. Our love for one another knows no bounds and is not divided by distance. Even when she lived in Thailand. And Kenya. And most recently Washington D.C. If it were not for her, my life would be a lot different. I'm not sure when or where I first met Amanda Stephens DeLoach. We were in the same psychology class in high school. We are both incurable smart alecks. I knew from the moment we first spoke that we were going to be great friends. She introduced me to Jarrod. When I found out I was pregnant she was beside me, with the same expression of horrified disbelief. Amanda knows me better than I know myself. Her sacrifical love for me knows no end. If I needed help moving a dead body, I would call her. If I were arrested for disorderly conduct, chances are good she would be sitting in jail beside me. We would call Amy to come bail us out.

Tabatha crossed my path 3 years ago in the form of a coworker. I remember the first night she reported for work in Peds. I looked at her from across the table and thought, "Wow, this girl sure likes her eyeshadow!" I could have found a better picture of us but I know it will aggravate her to no end when she finds out I have put this on my blog! Tabby has been in the recesses of my infertility struggles right beside me. She has prayed with me, cried with me, laughed until we were near incontinence. We have driven around Lexington in the dead of night, windows down, blasting Tupac. People that work with us tell us we are like Laverne and Shirley. We argue until everyone around us is in stitches with laughter. Did I mention she is funny?


I know that these beautiful women are, will, and have always prayed for us. I know that I don't deserve such trusted, beloved, intimate friends. I know that I could ask anything from them, and they would do their best to make it happen. I know that I love each of them like sisters. I am lucky.



1 comment: